Week Eleven April 2: Horror 


Inuyasha

My biggest surprise this week was a question that hit me. How is Inuyasha horror? I saw the anime when a friend suggested it. The show came off as a cheesy girl anime that I left on while doing homework. At times the episodes got repetitive, but overall the show was good. Looking back now, I never questioned the whole section with there being demons and half demons in it. The horror was kind of lost on me. 
The manga that I read for the week made my stomach turn. Usually, I’m rather numb to horror. For some reason, right now with the corona virus, I don’t have it in me to get into it. To avoid giving myself more nightmares; I’m going to focus on Inuyasha and not people being dismembered or stalked or anything else that my isolated mind will make me lose sleep over. 
When watching Inuyasha, the reason the horror probably didn’t set in is because it really feels like a teenaged girl’s drama. The whole demon element didn’t seem satanic, it was more like having mythical creatures around. Even the worst of the monsters weren’t worse than things we have in the west form Grimm’s fairytales. The story focuses on a girl being pulled from her world into another. It almost had more of a Narnia/portal world feel to it. Kagome went from being an everyday girl to hunting down jewel shards with an annoying half demon named Inuyasha. 
One thing I couldn’t handle in the series was the love triangle. I’m just going to say here that I absolutely hate love triangles. Most of the time I say to just kill the girl both guys are pursuing; then make the guys team up to avenge her finding better girls in the process. I say that because I believe love should mean pursuing someone whole heartedly. Kagame was a great character who seriously loved Inuyasha. The thing is Inuyasha kept ditching Kagome to pursue his dead ex who would just leave him in the dirt anyway. It made his whole “love” for Kagome seem weaker. He didn’t fully pursue her till Kikio died for what seemed like the third time. How are Kagome and Inuyasha the “perfect” couple when he treats her like his second choice? This anime was good, and I did enjoy it, I just can’t get to the point where I can fully support a romance that is dragged out for that long. 
Spoiler, everyone does end up happy in the end. The show does have its happy ending and Inuyasha does end up with Kagame. When they end up together, part of me is happy because the world is saved and there is a sense of closure. The fact that a few years passed and they stated that Inuyasha spent all his time searching and waiting for Kagome and not Kikio made me feel better about it. Still, I just can’t see the appeal in a love triangle. When I watched the show, I was far more interested in Inuyasha’s older brother and the little girl he was babysitting. Those characters had a far more entertaining relationship and chemistry in my mind than the “heroes” and their romance. I have nothing against romance, I just don’t see any appeal in a love triangle. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog