Week Ten March 26: Isekai: 

            Leveling up


            Dragon ball, another anime I actually know. My ex really liked this show, so I actually knew a lot about it before the class. Surprisingly, I also really like the reincarnation as a slime story. This whole concept of leveling up makes me wonder if they are talking about life or a videogame. 
            In reincarnated as a slime, it really did give me a video game vibe. He got past the early levels, beat some little bosses, acquired his kingdom, acquired a metal worker… all things that could count for a video games. I’ve never been a big fan of games where you create your own kingdom. When it comes to that, I would rather write a book or draw out the world than spend so much time on side levels working my way up. The gameplay in itself has never really drawn me to that kind of game either, but I love the concept and learnings about how the world works. My favorite character in this story was the dragon in the beginning. I seriously wanted the dragon to come back the whole time I was reading it. I hope he comes back in the end of the story. 
            Dragon ball was talked about this class, but I have trouble thinking about it as a portal fantasy story. Then again, I need to admit that there was a lot of world traveling in the later seasons. Even that anime’s version of earth isn’t really earth. We don’t have walking talking pings, cats, or other animals. When I think of dragon ball, I just want to compare it more to a superhero story. There is a mirroring concept between Goku and Superman, but there are so many differences in the characters themselves that make them nothing alike. Yes, both were sent to earth from a dying world; one to destroy it and the other to protect it. Both of the characters have tremendous powers, but that is really where their similarities end. Superman doesn’t like fighting. The great Superman just wants to be human. He wants to live a normal life, but he can’t live his life knowing someone died that he could have saved. In turn, his struggle is more living a normal life with his powers. Even in fights, Superman has complained that he always needs to be careful. If he punches someone too hard he could kill them. He can never let loose because he may kill someone. Goku on the other hand is obsessed with getting stronger. This is why I have trouble comparing them. One just works his way up, trying to beat everyone, while the other lives to avoid conflict. The only other way the two can properly be compared is that they inspire others. The main difference in my mind is the fact that Superman inspires the everyday people to become heroes and do the right thing. On the other hand, Goku inspires his villains and rivals to join him by the way he treats his enemies. Goku is in no way holier than thou. In the end, the two are complete opposites. I’m not going to say one is better than the other because these two are nothing alike. 
            I feel as though I take everything here with a western eye. Even as things on the surface may seem similar, it is interesting to see how completely different the stories are that are stemmed from America and Japan. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog