Week Thirteen April 16:
 Films of Makoto Shinkai 
            This was my first time being exposed to any of Shinkai’s films and I was really impressed with it. I know that I haven’t been very well exposed to anime, but I was surprised to learn that I had never even heard of the highest grossing anime of all time. I thought that I would have at least heard of Your Name before. 
            Over all the story for Your Name was simple and relatable. While there was a lot of magic in the move, most of it focused on ever day life. Part of me wondered if the. simplicity is what made this so popular and likeable. The characters were more of a look into different people’s lives. Even with the time travel and meteor, the story made me focus more on the city verses country life. For the girl, she got everything she ever wanted by living a day in his life. The show brings questions that I feel have been asked in movies before. In Freaky Friday, a mom and daughter switch bodies. There is also the movie where twins switch places and parents. I’ve seen movies where people switch places before, but I’m not used to seeing this kind of story where people who don’t know each other switch places. There was also the fact that they switched multiple times, and the concept of their relationship really interests me. 
            I feel as though a lot of my papers have talked about the concept of love and relationships between characters. I feel the need to point out the romance here as well. I’m not used to seeing a romance where people who have never met fall in love. This wasn’t some kind of cheesy romance letters, but looking through each other’s eyes. The two of them learned what they hated about each other and what they loved. They literally shared each other’s lives and souls. It was as though they were bound together by and unseen force the start. Destiny or whatever it was, in the end they needed each other, and as much as I want to find a plot hole in the relationship, I really can’t. The characters feelings for each other felt so real. 
The twilight hour had its own magic. It wasn’t outgoing and flashy. The magic was simple, and had a quiet feel to it. It felt solemn, and perfect for this move. Overall, I’d say it was expertly done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog